About the Club
The mission of the Tampa Yacht & Country Club is to further the tradition of providing exceptional boating, recreational, dining and social experiences befitting our members and their families
Built on a foundation of integrity, civility and camaraderie, the Tampa Yacht and Country Club will continue being the premier private club for generations of families in Tampa Bay area, combining the uniqueness of our waterfront property and long-standing place in Tampa's history with members of good moral character, first-class facilities and extraordinary employees.The Tampa Yacht & Country Club exists for and is dedicated to the recreation, relaxation and enjoyment of its members, their families and guests.
The Tampa Yacht & Country Club was founded in 1904 by the leading business and professional men of the city of Tampa.
Three clubhouses have occupied this property on Ballast Point. The first building was constructed in 1905 at a cost of $7,000 and it was destroyed by fire on December 14, 1929. The second building was built in 1930 and burned down in December 1938. Our present clubhouse was constructed in 1939 at a cost of $40,000.
The clubhouse today with its many additions comprises approximately 13.5 acres on the same very select location on the west shore of Hillsborough Bay. The clubhouse has over 20,000 square feet of space divided into two dining rooms, two cocktail lounges, a ballroom and two adjacent lounges, a kitchen and storage areas and offices. Today the walls are hung with pictures of members’ boats and other activities. Winner’s cups and trophies are displayed. The collection includes three magnificent 1930’s St. Petersburg to Havana Yacht Race First Place trophies won by then Fleet Captain Houston Wall, aboard his schooner Haligonian. The antique charts, as well as a number of fascinating ships’ models resembling the original ships and yachts they represent, have been a center of interest for those who enjoy knowing about past traditions of our Club.
The tennis complex is considered to be state-of-the-art and features nine har-tru courts. A sixty-five hundred sq. ft. building houses the proshop, locker rooms, steam and sauna rooms, fitness center and nursery. Our first tennis courts were built in 1961. The new complex opened October 2, 2000.
The present 35’ x 75’ swimming pool was constructed in 1991 on the site of the earlier pool. This has proven to be even more popular than the earlier, smaller pool for all ages year-round. The Swim Team, professionally coached March thru June, allows young swimmers aged 5 – 16 to compete in the Private Club League (PCL). At the same time the pool with the nearby snack bar pavilion is center for adults as well as children. In the winter months the heated pool (82 degrees) is used by many beginning at 7:30 am.
The club stables on the west side of Interbay consist of riding rings, four barns and a clubhouse. A well-trained staff is available to foster and assist in equestrian pleasure and competition. A “Derby Day” Celebration was held in May, 2005 to continue the clubs tradition of horse shows.
The marina space we know today was originally approved by the membership in 1963 and completed in 1967. It featured 31 covered slips and 50 open slips, with approximately 65 spaces available in dry storage, a fuel pier and 24-hour dockmaster service and security. The Club underwent a complete marina overhaul in 2015 and 2016 at a cost of $6 million. The new marina features fixed ipe docks on the north and south and two floating docks in between.
In 1960, the club joined the original members of the thirteen Florida West Coast yacht clubs ranging from Naples north to Tarpon Springs. Since that time, the Florida Council of Yacht Clubs, as it is now called, has expanded to include 36 clubs from Pensacola Yacht Club south to Marathon Yacht Club in the Keys and the east coast clubs north to Florida Yacht Club in Jacksonville.
Most yacht clubs and country clubs are organized for reasons different from other civic groups, as they rarely have any purpose more high-minded than to have fun. In addition to hosting activities such as regattas, swim and tennis tournaments and other club functions, the Tampa Yacht & Country Club has a philanthropic history of participating in community events through the Club Managers Association of America. In Florida, the association sponsors five golf tournaments annually, which raise amounts in excess of $750,000 for numerous organizations, including All Children’s Hospital, Special Olympics and Toys for Tots.
The Tampa Yacht & Country Club has been ranked among the nation’s top 15 private yacht clubs and awarded as a Platinum Club of America for four consecutive terms (2003, 2006, 2009, 2012 & 2014.) This award identifies the Club as a 5-star private club and places it among the top 3% of 6,000 private clubs in America. The rankings are released every three years by the Club Leaders Forum. To determine which clubs receive this honor, the Club Leaders Forum has developed a unique survey and point system that rank the clubs. Questionnaires are sent to both the general manager and the president of every club included in the Club Managers Association of America (CMAA). Over 6,000 surveys are sent out and 1,338 clubs were nominated. Those completing the questionnaire are asked to select the top clubs within their geographic location. The respondents consider multiple aspects of the private clubs including quality of membership, tradition and culture, amenities, governance, and quality of management and staff. Once received by the Club Leaders Forum, the points are calculated and top clubs are selected. 2014 is the seventh compilation of The Platinum Clubs of America – the 235 most highly regarded private clubs in the United States.
To complete a Membership Inquiry, please click here.
For information on available career opportunities, please click here.